Miami Daily Photo

A day by day look at Miami, Florida.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Guardian Dragonthing

A house near my apt. has this gargoyle/dragon hybrid statue as its front lawn welcoming committee. It's so tacky it's cool, but to fully know how cool it is you have to see it at night, when the big glass eyes are revealed to be motion sensored lamps that light up whenever something moves around. If I had lots of money to waste, and knew my wife would let me get away with it, I would so put one of these guardians up as well!

Also, welcome to any and all new readers of Miami DP coming in from www.MiamisNews.com and www.CriticalMiami.com.

5 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Kris said...

does it make sound? a little to big to my liking ..lol!

 
At 5:47 AM, Blogger Sam said...

That is tacky, but Very cool!!
I think it would be fun to have one too!

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Daniel M. Perez said...

To reply:

Luminlight - It actually is. The first time I realized the eye-lamps were on a motion sensor was on an evening when my wife and I were riding our bikes down this street. It took us both by surprise!

Fotoaddict - Nope, no sound. If it did, it would rightfully belong in the pseudo-gothic mansion I featured back in March 06. :)

Sam - The whole house is tacky. If you look closely, you can see the walls of the garage have been stenciled to look like stylized sculptural details. My guess is that these people like art (see the house number sign, featuring a detail from Ingres' The Turkish Bath) and choose to express it in their own uniqye style.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Ineke said...

O don't let my kids see this or they'l be begging for one too!

 
At 2:22 AM, Anonymous miamibeachapartments said...

very nice post.That is tacky, but Very cool!!I think it would be fun to have one too!thanks for sharing here..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home