Miami Daily Photo

A day by day look at Miami, Florida.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Barnacle

Today my wife and I jumped in the car and went to visit one of Miami's least known treasures. The Barnacle Historic State Park in Coconut Grove is home to the Barnacle, Miami-Dade county's oldest house still in original site. Built in 1891, the house sits in the middle of 5 acres of what's left of the original Miami Hammock, right in front of Biscayne Bay, where it has witnessed the city grow and withstood 115 years of hurricanes, including the deadly 1926 storm and 1992's Andrew. This was a most marvelous discovery, a place we had known about for years but never visited before, and I invite both locals and tourists to come visit this site and enjoy a rare slice of Old Miami.

You can read more about our visit to the Barnacle, and see lots more photos, at my blog:
[Highmoon's Ponderings]: A Visit To The Barnacle.

1 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Rocky said...

Dan, this is the first Blog I've ever posted to. Some great photographs of a part of Florida I've yet to explore. Came across your site looking for more info on the Barnacle Historic state park. I plan on driving down late spring and this might be a park I would like to visit.
Thanks, Rocky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home